Custom Search

 

Cabot Tower

Cabot Tower is built high on a hill on top of Brandon Hill 260 feet above the Harbour behind Park Street. This 105 feet high tower commemorates the 400th anniversary of John Cabot's voyage to Newfoundland in America in 1497. He set sail in May in the Matthew in search of a new route to Asia.

The tower was built in 1897 and opened on 6th September 1898. It was designed by the Bristol architect William Venn Gough and paid for by the public. He said the design was based on a tower in the Loire in France.

Inside is a spiral staircase for those who wish to climb to the top for splendid views across Bristol. A lift was planned but never materialised. The tower is a landmark that can be seen from many parts of the city and at night its beacon flashes a message in Morse Code. The CCCC cut into each side of the tower represents the 400 years anniversary. Above the entrance door in the north side is the coat of arms of Bristol and the coat of arms of Henry Vii is on the eastern side with a plaque relating Cabotís achievement. The tower is made of red sandstone dressed with cream coloured Bath stone. The winged figure on top of the spires represents Commerce.

The gardens around the base are a haven for wild life as well as there being fantastic views across the city. There are water features and picnic areas.

On Signal Hill in Newfoundland overlooking St Johns is another Cabot Tower also built to commemorate Cabotís achievement built to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.

 

 

 

Top of Page | Previous Page        
Submit Your Site | Link To Us | Advertising With Us | Terms of Use | Contact Us | About Us
  
Copyright © Bristol Link. All Rights Reserved.